Giant paper flowers make for a great statement piece on an otherwise blank wall. Watch our DIY tutorial with Robert Mahar and learn how-to make these yourself using construction paper! Purchase materials for this project here: http://bit.ly/2eLFELQ
DIY Giant Paper Wall Flowers
Petal Template Directions:
1) Trace a bowl or small plate onto lightweight cardboard to create the upper portion of the petal.
2) Use a ruler to create the sides of the petal, tapering it slightly at the base. Create this same shape petal template in three sizes. Once you've drawn your petal templates, cut them out.
Cutting Paper Petals Directions:
1) The flower requires five large petals, three medium and three small. To avoid cutting each petal out individually, stack two to three sheets of construction paper, trace the template on the top sheet and then cut.
Stapling Petals Directions:
1) Stack the respective sizes together, take your scissors and create a roughly 3" vertical cut in the center of the petal base.
2) Take the tab of paper one and overlap them -- you'll see this causes the paper to cup, creating a three dimensional petal.
3) Begin with the large petals first, overlap the two sides slightly and then staple them together. The medium sized petals should sit up higher than the large petals. Overlap the two sides even more and staple together.
4) Finally, the small petals should sit up almost vertically. Overlap the two sides even more and staple together.
1) Overlap each large petal slightly at the base and secure them together using hot glue.
2) Connect all five large petals to create a cup-like form -- this is the exterior ring of petals.
3) Then apply hot glue to the underside base of the three medium petals, pressing them into the interior of the cup-like form, position them so they overlap slightly -- this creates the second ring of petals. Repeat this process for the three small petals.
Flower Interior Directions:
1) Take a sheet of construction paper and cut in half lengthwise.
2) Take these two pieces and fold them in half. Using scissors create a series of cuts down the entire length of the folded edge.
3) Unfold these two sheets and refold them in the opposite direction.
4) Secure one end with a couple staples and then begin to wrap this piece around a pencil -- when you get to the end of the strip secure it with some hot glue.
5) Glue the second strip and continuing wrapping around the first piece -- finishing with additional glue. The end result will look somewhat like a paper pom pom!
1) Create a leaf by folding a piece of construction paper in half lengthwise and then cut half of a tear drop shape.
2) To add dimension to the leaf, fold it accordion style on an angle. Unfold the leaf, apply hot glue to the underside of the flower and position the leaf.